What is interpreting?
Interpreting is the interlingual transfer of an oral message or utterance from one language to
another using the spoken or sign medium in a given situation of communication. The formal ISO
(International Standards Organization) definition for interpreting is:
“Rendering a spoken or signed message into another spoken or signed language, preserving the register and meaning of the source language content.” (ISO, 2014, p. 1.)
The role of the interpreter
The interpreter must quickly and carefully convey the meaning, tone, and intent of the original
message into the target language. Interpreting requires excellent language proficiency, the ability to
quickly analyze and transfer messages between languages, and adherence to professional ethics and
standards of practice. Interpreting can be performed face-to-face and remotely.
Even though interpreters cannot know everything about all topics, it is necessary that they are easy- learners, curious and fond to learn about new subjects that, in many cases, appear out of the blue.
Interpreters must be fluent in both languages that are being used in the conversation and must have a vast knowledge of culture in general. Interpreters need to know enough about a topic to be able to understand what the speaker is saying and to perform an accurate expression and interpretation of the real meaning.
Basically, the role of the interpreter is to communicate the speaker's meaning accurately and efficiently.
How many ways of performing an interpretation process exist?
There are three interpreting modes:
• Simultaneous: this is when the interpreter listens and renders the message in the target language at the same time as the speaker is speaking.
• Consecutive: when the speaker speaks for a certain period of time (normally, no longer than 5-7 minutes) then a pause is made and the interpreter renders the message in the target language. This sequence is repeated along the discourse.
• Sight translation: it is the oral rendition of a written text.
At the same time, there are different types of interpretation according to the clients’ needs:
1. In Person: also known as face-to-face or on-site interpreting. It’s ideal for small group meetings. The interpreter attends to meet the client in a specific location.
2. Over the phone interpretation: Over-the-Phone Interpretation is the transfer of an oral message or utterance from one language to another using a spoken and remote medium in a given situation of communication.
3. Video remote interpreting: is a video telecommunication service in which the interpretation takes place through different devices such as web cameras or videophones.
4. Conference interpreting: used at meetings where more than one language is spoken. In these cases, one language must be adapted into another or into multiple languages.
5. Sign Language Interpreting: it is used when one of the speakers is deaf, so the interpreter must verbally communicate with the speaker and, at the same time, communicate through signs to the speaker who is deaf or hard of hearing person.
Our interpretation service suits every business need. At Stillman Translations we serve companies all
over the world, from face to face conversations to conferences and international events. We work
with a vast group of high qualified interpreters from different parts of the globe, to assure
We offer on-site interpreters who are experts on the languages you require and in your industry’s specific terminology. Do you have any incoming meeting, conference or any other event with people from different countries? Book an expert interpreter anytime with us!
Stillman Translations is a success-oriented company persistently working to be the most reliable
language provider in the region. Our aim is to fulfill our clients’ needs so that they succeed both
locally and internationally.
Offering translations in all possible language combinations, Stillman is particularly renowned for its into Spanish translations from English and Portuguese. Always striving to convey your intention throughout the linguistic process, we confidently draw upon our know-how to assist you in translations with other language combinations as well. We are there for you.